Thursday, October 29, 2009

October 28, 2009

M (1931)
While I certainly appreciate this film for both its historical significance and its use of atmosphere and burgeoning prevalence of sound to heighten tension, I was disappointed by it. I have mostly heard it talked about with the same reverent tones used for Rear Window or Touch of Evil, but I thought that it fell a little flat. It's a strange sort of look - almost a melding of German Expressionism and Film Noir (which makes sense, given that it was made between the popularity of the two movements) - and its main problem is that it has no real protagonist. There is no one character that the audience can latch onto in times of tension or fear for in times of danger. The most recognizable character is Peter Lorre as the child-killer and you certainly don't identify with him, even at the disturbing end. That being said, Peter Lorre is a damn good actor.
My Netflix rating: 3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment