Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Descendants (2011)

The Nick with Lauren on 1/3/12
So, this is the critical darling of the year. I was not overly thrilled. It's not a bad film by any means - it's exceptionally filmed - but it's just not wowing me. Actually, I haven't really seen anything yet this awards season that wowed me, except Arthur Christmas. George Clooney is fine, the girl from Secret Life of American Teenager is really effective, and the writing is pretty solid until the end (that meanders and wanders and just doesn't get to the end fast enough), but somehow the elements just didn't all come together for me. I think perhaps if the pacing was tightened up just a bit or if some of the extraneous plot elements were streamlined, it would have been a much more enjoyable film. Best Picture? Maybe, but I'm not convinced that it deserves it.
My Netflix rating: 3 stars

New Movies in Year Three: 123

1 comment:

  1. What did you think of the soundtrack for this film? Have you been to Hawaii? I like how they managed to make the paradise seem so subdued.

    ReplyDelete