Sunday, April 24, 2011

Soul Surfer (2011)

Westbrook Cinemagic on 4/18/11
I was afraid that this movie was going to be very cheesy and overboard with the inspiration, but it's actually not. I think the key to that is in the performances. AnnaSophia Robb really owns the role of Bethany Hamilton and makes the audience feel for her. The Hawaiian locations are gorgeous and the surfing camera work is pretty eye-boggling. The one complaint I do have is with the shark attack itself - it's far too quick and too tame. Maybe it's my love of Jaws or some leftover scarring from 127 Hours, but I was hoping for a much more graphic moment - especially since that event is the catalyst for the major character arc.
My Netflix rating: 4 stars

I'm sorry for the delay in posting. Unfortunately, we lost our office building to a fire on April 17th, and this whole week has been spent cleaning and seeing what is salvageable.

New Movies in Year Three: 24

No comments:

Post a Comment