Sunday, March 20, 2011

It's Kind of a Funny Story (2010)

Netflix DVD on 3/18/11
The son from United States of Tara checks himself into a mental institution...why exactly? It's very clear from the beginning that, while he has some issues with depression and self-esteem, he's clearly not psychotic and doesn't belong there. I think that this is an issue with the performance, honestly. Keir Gilchrist doesn't play Craig like someone who is desperate enough to kill himself. Overall, this feels like it's trying to be a light-hearted version of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, but what the filmmakers don't seem to understand is that you can't make a subject like that light-hearted without it falling flat and feeling false. A good try, I guess, but not at all a success.
My Netflix rating: 3 stars

New Movies in Year Three: 15

1 comment:

  1. Loved this movie as is why I threw it on my top ten list. I don't agree that this is trying to be light-hearted as much as it is trying to present an honest depiction in which several moods enter into the mix. I especially love how the end doesn't try to force the story into a neat conclusion.

    ReplyDelete