Thursday, February 4, 2010

February 3, 2010

Titanic (1997)
#25 on my Top 100 List
I am not going to comment on the box office war between this and Avatar except for one statement: this movie was made 13 years ago and if you want to talk box office totals, then it is not fair to do so without inflating the ticket prices from 1997 to 2010 prices. Plus, I would rather watch Kate and Leo (who are adorable, especially knowing that they're still best friends) than 10-foot tall blue aliens any day. I have a special place in my heart for this movie, because this is what made me want to become a filmmaker. It was big and explosive and moving, it was a technical wonder (they built a 40-foot model of a ship just to blow it apart in a giant tank of water!), and the love story between Jack and Rose is one that will be remembered for a very long time. The costuming is fantastic, especially Rose's myriad gowns, and I have yet to find even a tiny difference between the art direction on the film and pictures of the real Titanic. The sunset kiss on the bow that fades into the ghostly undersea ruins gives me chills and even though I have seen this probably a dozen times, I still cry when the band plays on and at the very end when Rose returns to the grand staircase. And though I feel bad every time, I can't help but laugh at the propeller guy.
My Netflix rating: 5 stars

1 comment:

  1. Am I too early to congratulate you on "mission accomplished" with this 1 year of a "Movie-A-Day", and to thank you for providing such great synopses of some very varied movies? Just a couple more days to go. . . then I'll make this official!

    ReplyDelete